RFID/NFC security system

Tell us about projects you are working on or you would like to see at Lowell Makes

RFID/NFC security system

Postby leftyfb » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:10 am

RFID/NFC system to enable access to Lowell Makes, it's different areas and equipment.

More to come later
leftyfb

Re: RFID/NFC security system

Postby leftyfb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:49 am

The project can be found here: https://github.com/leftyfb/NFCAccess

It uses a raspberry pi, the PN532 NFC/RFID controller breakout board from adafruit and standard MiFare RFID tags or any NFC device for authentication.

In my prototype it's triggering a relay to open up a "Door Fail Secure access control Electric Strike v6 NO(Normally Open)". This system can trigger almost any relay and will be used for door access as well as machine equipment.

We are awaiting some custom printed boards to start installing the system at Lowell Makes to allow front door access in addition to keys.

The backend is a bash shell script and a mysql database which at the moment has tables for individual cards, nodes and all the logging.

The php page is very rudimentary and at the moment can look through logs and edit card information. I will be adding in the ability to add new cards and edit time access for individual cards to the interface.

If anyone wants to help with the php interface that would be appreciated. This has just about been my only experience with php so far and it's slow going.
leftyfb

Postby pataelmo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:43 pm

I'm totally on board with this project. I'd love to help out. I've always wanted to create an NFC based key/lock system. I have experience with embedded code, electronics, web/database code (PHP & MySQL), and most recently Android Apps. I am happy to help with anything for this project.

If you would like I can go ahead and look into what it takes to create an Android app to use the NFC interface on phones to authenticate.
pataelmo

Postby pataelmo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:29 am

I was looking into the chip used for nfc and it seems like it can do quite a bit. I wanted to start playing with it, and make an embedded access control with LCD feedback. But, I find that Adafruit is out of stock. I then found there's another version of a similar board that's smaller and cheaper (from China). I was about to just order a bunch, but wanted to check to see if you had already purchased several of the Adafruit modules and/or if the pcb design for this project was laid out such that it would be a pain to change the readers.

After shipping cost per module is ~$23.

http://www.elechouse.com/elechouse/inde ... ts_id=2242

These should be drop in replacements electrically
pataelmo

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:25 pm

Maybe building one of these would be helpful:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Cyclone_PCB_Factory
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Jabberwocky

Postby leftyfb » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:48 pm

pataelmo: That looks like it'll work. Much cheaper too.

Jabberwocky: I was just about to post that :)
leftyfb

Return to Projects