[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Lowell Makes Forum • View topic - Vacuum Press Bag

Vacuum Press Bag

Vacuum Press Bag

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:02 pm

I'm going to start pricing out a vacuum bag like the ones shown , which could be used both for veneering and for bent plywood parts, like my that I've shown some of you.

Assuming anyone else would be interested in using it, the question becomes what size bag we should build. This determines the pump size and materials needed, so any input would be nice. I'm currently thinking a 4' x 6' bag should accommodate pretty much anything I would ever do, but perhaps someone else thinks differently.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Jabberwocky

Re: Vacuum Press Bag

Postby BruceJ » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:19 am

You have to ask yourself three questions.

What is the largest project size that you can imagine vacuum pressing?
If you can envision your largest veneer project being 3' x 4', you'll probably be very happy with a 4' x 4' vacuum bag.

Does the inconvenience of using a large bag for a small project bother you?
If so, I recommend getting a smaller bag to go along with a larger bag. I use a 4 x 8 vinyl bag for some of my work but I like the convenience and usability of a 2 x 4 polyurethane bag which I use for the largest portion of my furniture projects.

Will your vacuum press system be fast enough for the bag size you need?
Ultimately, the speed of vacuum flow from your vacuum source is what determines the maximum bag size that you should consider. If your system is underpowered, the bag will not pull down fast enough and the glue will set up before full pressure is on the veneer.

Vacuum Flow

Maximum Bag Size
For Flat Projects

Maximum Bag Size
for Curved Projects
1 CFM

4' x 4'

2' x 4'
3 CFM

4' x 8'

4' x 4'
5 CFM

4' x 15'

4' x 8'

An Ounce of Prevention...

A vacuum bag will last much longer if you take good care of it. There are three important and easy to remember aspects of making a vacuum bag last for a very long time.

The first is to store your vacuum bag out away from UV light sources such as sunlight.
Make sure there are no sharp edges inside the bag. This includes the platens and the project panels.
Be careful that you do not stress the seams on your vacuum bag. The seams will surely break if they are being pulled apart by vacuum. With a bag of the correct size, the seams will pull together. Imagine a very small project inside a large bag. Under pressure, you would notice that the seams actually pull together and are under virtually no stress. In the image below, the "Incorrect Bag Use" shows a bag that is too small for the project.

Vacuum Bagging Tips

Other than inconvenience, there is nothing wrong with using a large bag for a small project.
Bag ClosureIf you have a large project going into a large vacuum press bag, consider cutting off the seal on the far end of the bag and using a second bag closure. It is much easier for two people to load the project when one person can help pull it in from the other side.
The VeneerSupplies.com web site has a full selection of vacuum bags and bagging materials.
BruceJ

Return to Carpentry & Woodworking